Tuesday, June 26, 2007

8 years of separation

I've been in Sydney since yesterday to conduct a series of training sessions for managers and team leaders with regards to systems procedures. It was also yesterday, last night as a matter of fact, that I was able to catch up with a friend that I have not seen since I graduated from La Salle in 1998.


His name is Xerxes, one of my closest "sistahs" back in La Salle. We took the same classes together when we were doing our Literature degree. He's a good looking, well groomed man. And of course, he is a first class flirt which I absolutely love.


He took me to the Opera Bar for a few drinks. I am currently addicted to Smirnoff Double Black Ice and had a couple while he had a Vodka Cranberry drink. We were seated outside with views of the Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House which was absolutely breathtaking at night. Sydney winter is nothing compared to Melbourne for we were able to sit outside comfortably. We chatted about old times and what's been happening with our lives. He was really happy for me finding Arnie, and that he was really glad I found my soul mate. I also found out about his boyfriend who is a few years older than him - a graphic designer who has his own place in the Rocks. Impressive, I said. Then, he calmly told me that he's actually his boyfriend's "number two". I told him that's fine as long as they both know what they're getting into. I am fully aware that some gay relationships do have a tendency to be non-monogamous but as long as consenting adults are involved, it's fine.


After our drinks, we headed off to a restaurant which, unfortunately, I can't remember the name but had the same amazing views of the Opera house and the Harbour Bridge. The food was excellent and the service was very personal. We both knew we were loud while we chatted away and laughed, but they didn't care and left us to enjoy ourselves.


I am not sure when we're going to see each other again, maybe the next time I visit Sydney for work, or better yet when he visits me in Melbourne. But after 8 years of not seeing him, I realize that I have a real friend in Xerxes. He's a non-judgemental kind of guy who is honest, comfortable in himself, and is genuinely happy for his friend's achievements. He helped me out during a time in my life back in our uni days when no one else could. I will always treasure him for that.


I miss him already. I am now consoling myself by eating the yummy Bon Bon chocolates he so kindly bought me last night. What a sweetheart.


It's hard to find true friends, and Xerxes is definitely one of mine.

No comments: