Sunday, March 27, 2005

Happy Easter... Melbourne style!

I have been living here in Melbourne for 5 years. I have enjoyed my stay here and made quite a lot of friends throughout the years, met the love of my life, established myself financially and very much fulfilled career-wise. With a very busy schedule involving work, play, school, Arnie, Meeko, my mum, and friends... you may ask, when do I stop to say thanks to God?

Enter Easter. One of the most solemn holidays of the year... in the Philippines, that is. Apparently, the rest of the world don't really look at Easter as a reflective season, but rather a time for friends to catch up (nothing wrong with that!), get thrashed on alcohol (!) and consume atrocious amounts of chocolates (I kind of like this part :p).

I am not a religious person. I am, in fact, a non-practicing Catholic. But I believe that one should always strive to be a better person. Through reflection, we will be able to look at ourselves and decide if we are happy with the person we have come to be. You may or may not believe in God, but I think that one thing that makes people similar is their drive to be the best they can be. I am not just talking about money or fame or how many cars one has. It is much more than that. It's the friends that you have, your kindness, understanding, your family, the honest way that you live.

I believe that regardless the circumstances, we have at least one thing to be thankful for. Nobody is perfect. Accept that! The sooner you accept it, the better off you'll be. Strive to be the best you can be!... but don't lose track of what is important. Family, love, friends... everything else is secondary.

Just think about this: Jesus Christ suffered for our sins according to Bible lore. I respect him for his beliefs and his ideals. We all should be thankful that we don't have to suffer as much as he has... for he already did it for us.

Jennie is currently pigging out on some chocolate eggs... and a huge burger... Thank God I can meat!!!


2 comments:

eLf ideas said...

Dear Jennie,
"I am, in fact, a non-practicing Catholic. But I believe that one should always strive to be a better person."

Well said.

Urban Warrior said...

Hit the nail on the head Jennie!

I'd rather be the person who does good to my neighbor and I don't have to be catholicly vocal about it, than the one who goes to church and cuts motorists on the highway.

(may blog ka pala hehehe)