Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Nostalgia

Mum returned from her short trip to Manila last Sunday. As expected from any holiday-maker, she brought back pasalubong. She brought back food, cute beaded sandals, and some clothes from my cousins.

She also, unexpectedly, brought back some photos that we left behind. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the photos were in albums compiled by my grandmother, comprised of photos of myself back in high school and college. My grandmother painstakingly salvaged them from getting completely destroyed by a storm that ruined most of our photographs.

Wow, I thought. Talk about a blast from the past! From high school were pictures of myself with my friends in a summer excursion to Laguna, my graduation with my high school bestest buddies James, Ryan, and Brian, schoolmates during the World Youth Day celebrations in Manila, and a stack full of official grad pictures from my batch mates. From college were heaps of random photos taken during my stint in a Japanese school during the cultural exchange program I participated in, hanging out with my close girlfriends DJ, Lynette, and Janelle, and other photos of myself in the traditional graduation toga with friends during the graduation mass. There was one particular picture of me and a boy I used to be in the same classes with during my freshman year. I was telling Arnie that the boy should have been my boyfriend and not the other one I had. Back then, I would never dream of telling a guy I liked him. In hindsight, I should have had the courage to tell him that I did. He is, after all, a very nice boy whom I've been really close friends with up until he decided to shift majors.

Alright, my dear friends... if that wasn't enough of a hint... hehehe.

Yes, there were a couple of group photos which had the ex in it. Upon looking at the photos, I could not make myself angry. I was actually happy. I have finally acknowledged the fact that yes, that relationship did not work out but we had happy times as well. We both graduated in the same year and we were surrounded by friends. I mean, yes, if I were given the opportunity to go back in time I wouldn't have a relationship with him and instead concentrated on being just friends. I guess I am now past the whole "I hate him" stage. I can honestly say that if I go back to Manila now and have a reunion with my college classmates, I would not mind him being there. I will go up to him and say "hi" and apologize for whatever hurt I have caused him. I guess it's just the mature thing to do.

Looking at old photos of yourself and your friends just makes you realise that time passes us by in a blink of an eye. I graduated from DLSU 8 years ago. In my circle of friends, one is about to give birth to her first child. Two of my friends had a tift and is still yet to reconcile. Another friend has moved to the States for good. One is working in their family owned business. From what I last heard, the ex is very happy with his girlfriend. As for me, I'm in different country that I have grown to love where I have met the love of my life, my future husband. I know that I still have a lot of growing up to do regardless.

It was nice to know that at some point in my life, regardless of all the adult complications that seem to litter my life at present, I was once a mere child who enjoyed her youth as much as the next person. Those photos were evidence of that.

I will try and post some of the pictures here shortly. Cheers!

2 comments:

ladybug said...

Wow! those pictures brought back memories of your days here. I'm glad to hear that you're doing better there.

Unknown said...

It's a nice feeling when I see photos of myself, family and friends from the past. Old pictures make me reminisce and also test my memory. Haha!