For those of you who have been living under a rock ^_^, there is a popular series classified under the "Chick Lit" category alongside Bridget Jones's Diary called "The Shopaholic Series." I have read about it and heard about it and yet I have not read the series myself. I have heaps of friends telling me I should read it because the lead character, Rebecca Bloomwood, reminds them so much of myself. I didn't give it that much attention until one of my blog punters, now blog mate Ali, placed a comment on one of my blog entries saying:
reading this entry...i cant help but think of rebecca bloomwood (from the shopaholic series book) seems like you have the same personality when it comes to shopping! have you read it?! i love her!
Now, this just interests me. A complete stranger was able to spot the similarities from just reading something I wrote... of course, the entry was about shopping and money matters. Click here to read the said entry.
I have read the first two books of the series, The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic aka Confessions of a Shopaholic and Shopaholic Abroad aka Shopaholic Takes Manhattan. The former is the British title and the latter is the American title. I'll be buying the third book called Shopaholic Ties The Knot on the weekend.
Reading the first two books, I immensely enjoyed myself. I laughed with and at Rebecca for her crazy antics (all of those lame arse excuses she comes up with for not paying her bills were hilarious!), felt absolutely embarassed for her in certain situations (fluent speaker of Finnish? Hah!), and rejoiced with her for getting her life back on track. Of course, it helps that there is a hunky, filthy rich and gorgeous British man after her. Yummy!
Having read this book, a part of me cringed that my friends are right - Rebecca and I have SOME (and I stress some!) similarities. Here is the list:
- atrocious number of shoes. I too have a penchant for just opening my closet and looking at them for no particular reason.
- I have shoes and clothes that I have worn only once.
- I have the same size feet as her!
- Whenever my mum asks how much a particular item I bought costs, I lower the price by at least 40%.
- I have clothes that still have the tags attached to them - completely unworn.
- I also daydream about winning the lottery. (who doesn't?)
- I love dining out.
- I love my wine and I think it's essential.
- I buy on impulse quite a lot!
- I have in the past maxed out my cards but have paid them off since.
Now, here is a list of things wherein Rebecca and I are completely different:
- I have assets.
- I don't have an overdraft. (a 5000 pound overdraft? My God!)
- I live within my means - although I have had my weak moments.
- I pay my bills off first before I indulge myself.
- I constantly think about whether I REALLY need an item I want to buy or not
Hmmm... come to think of it, my list of similarities is longer. Argh!
Am I Rebecca Bloomwood? What do you think?