Friday, January 13, 2006

The answer to the ultimate question...

"The Answer to the Great Question... of Life, the Universe and Everything... is... Forty-two."
- Douglas Adams "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Were you one of those people who read the book and when you got to this part, you almost fell off your chair by the total absurdity of it? I know I did. It wasn't until I turned the page and read Deep Thought's explanations as to why it gave such a vague answer.

What is the Ultimate Question? In this case, the question relating to Life, the Universe and Everything?

According to Deep Thought, it was a very vague question to begin with. What exactly is it? It then said that it cannot answer a question that was vague to begin with, and it could also not formulate the Ultimate question. In fact, Earth and its inhabitants are part of the matrix that will be able to compute and figure out what the great question is - of Life, the Universe and Everything.

Okay, so given this premise that us humans - although we are only the third most intelligent creatures on earth next to mice and dolphins respectively - are part of this so-called matrix, we should have an idea as to what the Ultimate Question.

So, what is it?

In my case, I have no fucking idea.

Huh - for a moment there, I thought I was chanelling Deep Throat.

But honestly, I have no bloody clue. In my opinion, it is something very subjective depending on which species you ask this from.

Probably for humans, it'll be "What is the meaning of life?"

Huh - another fucking vague question.

For some four-legged mammals such as cats and dogs, it might be "Why in the world should we lick our balls?"

Huh - I don't know, I'm fishing for something here.

What do you guys think? What would be the question that will top all questions?



1 comment:

Jayce Cortez Jacinto said...

Why in the world did Life, the Universe and Everything Else allow Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to have offspring (I heard she's preggers)??? This may be the next step in evolution and at the same time the downfall of common man! Imagine, beautiful people procreating to make people even MORE beautiful than they already are!